Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:41:26 -0600

Maybe this will make you feel better, but there is probably a greater
percentage of pictures that are "successful" than the few that are published
in any magazine or newspaper. Those photographers, as well as many others,
have larger portfolios of work than the material you see in print. And it
may be that some of those pictures are even "better" than the ones that are
published. Editors may not always select the most edgy pictures,
aesthetically speaking, or even subject-matter speaking (especially in
National Geographic, whose politics are pretty conservative compared to some
other pubs), and so what many photographers produce may never be seen by a
mass-market audience like the subscription base of National Geographic.

So take heart. Your "success" rate could and should be better than 0.05%. If
not, something is terribly wrong.

I would also venture to say that if it takes 20,000 shots per story, someone
is wasting lots of film, and maybe the photographers aren't that good after
all. I'm sure if I took 20,000 shots (and I don't consider myself a half-bad
photographer) I could get five or six pictures, or even a dozen (most
National Geographic stories don't have much more than that) that would pass
muster for just about any publication! Even National Geographic!

Kit (who at age 15 wrote a letter to the editor of National Geographic
asking "what do I have to do to become a National Geographic photographer?"
and who later found out that there were many other equally or even more
interesting things to do in the world!)