Subject: Re: [Leica] scanning slides with Epson 3200
From: "David Rodgers" <drodgers1@lightcurves.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:56:22 -0700

Jean-Michel

I have an Epson 1600, a Nikon Coolscan and a Leafscan. I use the 1600  more than the others because:

1) It's much faster for scanning batches negs or slides. I use it for all my proofing.
2) Quality is more than adequate for web work and for printing up to a certain size.
3) The 1600 has good density range.
4) I can scan medium and large format
4) I can scan prints.

I bought the 1600 for reason #4, because I make a lot of darkroom prints. I ended up using it for a lot more. My Coolscan or Leafscan provide higher quality scans. But drum scans are even better. When is good enough, good enough? And what price are you willing to pay?

Any scanner takes time to learn how to use well. The 1600 is versatile, so I use it a lot and I know it well. (took me about 6 months and a thousand plus scans to really know how to use it, though). I imagine the 3200 is an even better scanner.

BTW, all but a few of the images on my web site are Leica images scanned on my 1600.

Good luck on choosing the right scanner.

DaveR
www.lightcurves.com

At 06:48 PM 4/22/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>>I'm new to the LUG. My question is about the scanner Epson Perfection 3200 Photo. I have a problem with the sharpness of scanned 35mm-slides.

Every input will be very much appreciated.

regards
Jean-Michel<<