Subject: RE: [Leica] Was Found a pre-owned MP already Now Tax stuff
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:53:40 -0400

Bill,

> Law here in PA is simple.  If the vendor has a brick and mortar
> operation in
> the state the consumer pays tax.  I.e., you buy something
> considered taxable
> from COMP-USA or Sears for example over the internet or thru the catalog,
> you pay sales tax on the item.

Agreed, IF the vendor has a "presence" IN the state you have the item
delivered to.

> If you go to a border state like Delaware
> that has no sales tax but have it delivered, like furniture, you pay the
> tax.

I'm not clear what the scenario you are citing here is.  If you buy in state
A, and IF the store OWNS the delivery vehicles, and you have it delivered to
state B, then yes, you do pay tax, but if it's delivered independently, and
the selling store has no "presence" in state B, no, you do not.

> On the other hand if I buy something from Kit or Pat, they are
> not obligated
> to charge me tax because neither Pat or Kit has a presence in PA.

Agreed.

> However,
> to follow the law, I should then calculate the tax and send it
> along to the
> state.

Is that really a "law"?

Austin