Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:36:32 -0700

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 12:19 PM

> Jim - I think you may be further confusing things...;-)
>
> First off, deciding against a 1Ds because it may get upgraded makes less
> than no sense - unless you are a sports or other high-speed shooter who
> will need to upgrade to get higher-fps speeds as they come along. For
> the rest of us, the quality a 1Ds with its 35 mm full-frame, 11 mg
> sensor is all anyone would need for a lonnnnng time to come.

B.D. - It's not pixel density or buffer speed I'm concerned about.  I
wouldn't mind springing for a 1Ds if I felt it was a completely mature
product.  The thing that concerns me about it most is the awful chromatic
aberration in extreme high contrast areas of photos taken with ultra-wide
angle lenses.  To be sure, the 11mp sensor resolves so much detail that it
reveals lens flaws that have always been there, but it also seems to
exacerbate chromatic aberration in wide angle lenses.  Some examples I've
seen with the Canon 17-35 are bad enough to make the resulting photos almost
unusable.  So, I expect that Canon will do at least a minor rev on the 1Ds
relatively soon to at least mitigate this problem.  Some have suggested that
it may take the form of some modification of the sensor surface.  Others
have suggested that it could be corrected digitally in the firmware.

Besides, I'm an old tech guy who knows better than to buy a v1.0 product!
;-)

- --Jim

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic)