Subject: Re: [Leica] My week's contribution: Palo Verde
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:31:26 +0200

>On 4/26/03 Christer Almqvist  wrote:
>

>>BTW I just ordered a neutral gray density filter with a filter factor
>>of 64, that is 6 f-stops and I am going to shoot some real slow shots
>>soon. BTW if you live in SF look out for an exhibition by a young
>>Russian guy Alexey Titarenko who inspired me to do this. He has a
>>portfolio in the March 2003 issue of Réponses Photo
>>

>Thank you for your recommendations. I will be interested in seeing Titarenko's
>work if I can get into the City while the exhibit is still there.
>
>I recall seeing an image of an empty plaza that was shot with a very dense
>filter. The plaza had actually been filled with people but the duration of the
>exposure averaged them out! Is this something like what Titarenko is doing?

Yes, and no.

He mostly has people in the picture, blurred, but you can still see
them. One picture shows the staircase of the Moscow subway. The hands
that hold the handrail are much less blurred than the feet and the
body as the hands tend to stay in one place for a while and then make
a quick advance to the next position while the bodies move more or
less constantly. That picture was exposed for 2 mins.

He also use a technique that involves moving the camera during a
fraction of the exposure, and keeping it static for the rest of the
exposure which is around 3 secs.

Very interesting is his beach photos. Some people do not move at all
in their deck chairs, others are just shadows (2mins).

He has been using an OM10 and later a Hassy with 50 and 80mm.

Gretings
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or