Subject: Re: [Leica] Ashley Northamptonshire #2
From: "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:42:30 +0100

From: "Christer Almqvist" <chris@almqvist.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: 30 April 2003 11:08

Very nice shots. To me Northamptonshire means good shoes (Church's
come from there, do they not?) and as many of these factories must
now be out of business, may we perhaps see some derelict factory
shots. I would appreciate that and I am sure your shots  would be
beautiful. (This is not intended to start of a discussion of which
shoes are best as this has long been settled: Church's!)

And would you please take some time philosophize on the subject of
Leica M vs Olympus OM, or perhaps better Leica M  _and_  Olympus OM.
I would like to hear your views.

Chris

>>Leica shot
>http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/fav_04.html
>
>Gallery Index:
>http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/misc.html
>

>Olympus shot
>http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/tpalt12.html
>
>Gallery Index:
>http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/topica_paw_alts.html

>--Graham

Hi Christer,
You are absolutely right about the closures, Church's being the exception.
They are about the only one left. As Northampton was designated an overspill
area for London in the 70's and as that coincided with the rundown in the
shoe trade dereliction didn't happen. The factories, many of which were
situated close to the town centre,  were knocked down and replaced with new
buildings fairly promptly.

Incidentally, Church's used to boast a repair department because customers
were so fond of their shoes that they would return them for repair from all
over the world rather than replace them.

For reasons I fully understand some people are irritated by my posting
Olympus images so I try to keep them low key and I will pass on offering my
views re Leica v Olympus.  I have no wish to trigger an apoplectic seizure
resulting in someone being found face down in their porridge. My views are
an irrelevance anyway since the web is probably littered with expert
comparison reports.
Thanks for looking.

- --Graham

Message from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Ashley Northamptonshire #2)