Subject: Re: [Leica] Voightlander 15mm
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:57:58 -0700

Henry Ting wrote:
Voightlander 15mm

> I was like you at first, drawn by the urge to
> experiment with a super-wide. But that play-factor on
> a new-toy syndrome faded out in a hurry after using
> it. It's way too wide for landscape photography, too
> distorted for interior, too much of everything. Apart
> from all that, its a quality lens.<<<

Sorry Henry yer wrong on all counts! ;-) Other than it's a quality lens. As
it is without question.

And it truly is an amazing quality, as I have a problem when looking at
slides shot with the R8 and 15mm or CV 15mm on the M6 or 7. And I've run
tests and had other professionals try to tell which slide was shot with
which lens. 95% of the time they're wrong in their choice.

It's a magical lens for almost everything you've said is wrong. The
difference is, knowing how to make the super-wide lens work for you and your
ability to see as a wide angle lens.

I've used my R 15  3.5 since the early '80s as a main lens when shooting
travel and scenic assignments. And a number of medical shots in my first
medical book. Probably the most significant thing about this lens is... if
you have competitors and they don't have a 15 you can easily blow them right
out of the water without a worry. As your photography will have a wonderful
magical look to it that no other lens, well OK maybe the 12, which is tough
lens to use, however records amazing imagery also.

Man without question,  if Erik van der Meulen has an opportunity to use one
he should go for it right away. Sure there are a few things one must
learn.... hold the lens vertically and horizontally correct that's a given
with any wide angle lens, only that it requires greater care when using a 15
or 12. And sure don't tilt down or up unless you want something very weird
looking. And if that's the case, tilt it wildly up or down for max effect.
And watch for some really cool stuff. ;-) Wild, but cool! :-)

As far as interiors go, you can't get a better lens unless it's the 12mm !
Shooting interiors wider is nearly always better than a 35, 28, 21 or others
within that range. Since I bought the 15mm for the R camera and shot
interior assignments I've never used any other lens, and because of that and
the results, I've acquired many more paid shoots for interiors. So from a
professional point of view and earning my keep, the 15mm is absolutely
perfect for interiors. :-)

I realize my comments are in direct opposition to yours, however that's life
and experience that comes to bear in using equipment anytime.
ted

Replies: Reply from Allen Graves <ahgraves@prodigy.net> (Re: [Leica] Voightlander 15mm)
Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Voightlander 15mm)