Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 viewfinder upgrade
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:04:36 -0500

John

I guess I have to agree with you, I would have liked to get the new finder
from the MP, but since it is not available yet, and with no published date
for its availability.  I decided to get the M7 Windows and what ever else
comes with the kit for now and get some improvement.  If you are right, I
would have had to pay for them anyway, so I guess I'm part of the way to a
complete fix.  Any improvement now is of some help.  It looks like the best
bet, money wise is to buy a MP, but then I don't like the old shutter dial
progression, I can learn to live with the old rewind knob, but the shutter
dial change was stupid in my opinion when the new one was correct to the
meter indicators.  I guess we can't all be happy...

Gene

                      John Collier
                      <jbcollier@shaw.ca>                 To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] M6 viewfinder upgrade
                      -alto.ca.us

                      05/02/2003 02:33 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

The MP finder will fit in the older cameras. The very latest M7s have
the same mods as the MP as well. I have heard from a good source that
eventually we will be able to fit the improved finder into our M6s,
TTLs and M7s. The two questions are when and how much trade in will
they give us on the old ones.

Completely redesigned is stretching it a little. They have improved
coatings and modified parts of the frameline illumination. Changing the
external windows to M7 (TTL) or MP (M6) type helps a little bit but not
enough to justify the bother in my books. I want the improved MP style
finder as well as the coated windows. Usually finder replacements are
in the $600US range, plus the price of the coated windows, and you are
in the $700 to $800 range. That is a ton-o-money but, if it gets rid of
the flare and stabilizes superimposed image, it is money well spent in
my books.

John Collier