Subject: [Leica] Film vs Digital
From: "Dave Olson" <ckrosebud@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 22:05:23 +0000

I find it interesting to see to see the doom sayers, professing the death of
film and a wet darkroom. Hey to all neysayers, Fuji, Kodak, Agfa continue to
speend big $$$ on film development. Kodak killed off their K-25
professional, because of the improved quality of 50-100 and yes 200 ISO
chrome film. Fuji is constantly tweaking their negative and positive lines.
In the area of B&W look what Kodak did to TriX. Ilford isn't sleeping and
neither is Fuji or Agfa.
Granted in the US, digital is happening because of the hype of ease and
instant gratification. I saw a recent survey by PC Magazine (Ithink) that
said only 1 in 5 Americans uses the internet at home. Think about that stat
and the implication as it applies to digital. Digital and computers & the
net go hand in hand. Someone pointed out in an earlier digest that most of
the rest of the world, film is king. In the US we have a tendancy to feel
that the rest of the world is just like us. It ain't. Digital in Europe is
still very small segment. Got that from both English and French photo mags.
Digital is great for news and other media where you have time constrants,
deadlines to meet and competion to beat.
As for me, film has been great for the past 40 + years. If I want to enhance
a chrome, I scan it and enhance (never manipulate). The pleasure I obtain
from openning a box of chromes, 35mm or 120mm and viewing them on a
lightbox, is far more satisfying then digital offers me.
On a day off.    Dave