Subject: Re: [Leica] Perennial PIA
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:20:47 -0400

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Ridings" <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Cc: <leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 3:59 PM

> > Lens covers are very important on a rangefinder.  It doesn't take very
long
> > for the sun to burn a hole through the shutter!
>
> Has that every really happened, or is it an urban legend?
>
> Daniel

Oh yes, Daniel. Last year I bought  a lovely silver classic Wetzlar M6, very
close to mint, for US $1,200. The owner had fried the shutter by leaving the
lens uncovered in the sun. Hole-in-shutter make camera not work so good.

Causing owner to send camera to Leica USA in Northvale where Ernst Hartmann
and his genies installed new shutter, rebuilt shutter mechanism, adjusted
meter, full camera CLA (cost US $465.) and I had a brand-new M6 whose
shutter felt very much like those on my M4's.

I mentioned this to Sherry Krauter (Golden Touch) who said that Solms has
been delivering M6's relatively "dry", i.e. with a bit less lubricant than
Wetzlar did with the M2-M3-M4, and thatg a proper CLA with older style
lubrication will result in an M6 shutter that approaches the M4 in "feel."
Don't know if this is true but do know that the shutter on this camera is
exceptional.

Seth LaK 9