Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on Leica's Latest Screw Mount Lenses - Circa 1999
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:27:34 -0400

Hello Jerry, hello Steve & y'all:

Jim Lager and Erwin Puts both have the first 50/1,4 Summilux being
introduced in 1959. Puts says the recomputed lens was introduced in1961.
Lager says: "About 1962, at serial number 1844001, the Summilux was
recomputed to give even better performance. It appears that official
acknowledgemenent of this change did not occur until late 1965." Typical of
Leitz at the time.

My Leitz lens records show ser # 1844001 falling in the 1961 production:
#1827001-1913000. Puts 1, Lager 0.

Gianni Rogliatti is the guy who got things confused by stating in his book
that "in 1966 the new lens design came along: totally different it had yet
seven glass elements, but the three front elements were not cemented and
there were two pairs cemented to the rear [sic] of the diaphragm. Set only
in bayonet mount and black, this lens did not change on the outside from the
previous model."

I know Rogliatti is wrong for two reasons: the 1961 revised lens was made in
both silver and black; I owned one of them in silver, #2028798 (1964
production). You can tell the difference externally as the front retaining
rings, the ones with the written lens description on them, have different
pitches, the early lens is shallower, the revised lens is deeper.

We all know these things are just tools. We use them as tools. But while
many if not most of you here on the LUG think people like me are nuts to get
into this stuff, it is somehow fun to poke around and cogitate on the
background - the history - of an important 20th Century artifact.

The Saratoga Auto Museum Ferrari exhibit opened May 1 and I was interviewed
(about 30 seconds I was warned) and asked "what is it like to own a
Ferrari?"

My answer was: "after all, it is just a car. Still, there is no denying a
sense of fun in having a relationship to the heritage and history of Ferrari
and the unparalleled racing success of these cars. But the real joy is in
driving them, the tactile sensation of connection with the road, the
responsiveness of the car and the speed. After all, Mr. Ferrari did not
build his cars to go into museums, he built them to drive the 24 Heures du
Mans and win.

Leicas weren't built to go into museums, they were built to give
photographers the tools with which to make (potentially) great images. The
fact that some people (today) buy Leicas to keep in collections is a
recognition of the special kind of tools that they are, just as some people
today buy Ferraris not to drive but to collect.

It's not a perfect parallel but it ain't too remote.

Seth         LaK 9

P.S. the 50/1,4 Summilux is indeed a great lens. So much so that while I
thoroughly respect Ted, Tina and all of you who need and use the Noctilux
professionally, I perceive my need for the added stop so rarely that I am
unwilling to accept the burden of weight and bulk - and the expense - for a
stop that I can usually capture with faster and pushed film.