Subject: [Leica] The LUG makes me proud sometimes.
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:00:54 -0400

On the PLUG 10 Commandments of Leica Photography
(http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/plug/10/index.html) we
find that the 7th commandment is "Thou Shalt Not Photograph Homeless People"
- -- which, I've been thinking lately isn't really what I meant. It probably
should be changed to "thou shalt not photograph homeless people you've not
slept under a bridge with." Photographing the homeless can be a noble
endeavor, but it's one which must be taken on very carefully and with great
concern. It trivializes their plight and is really a photography hack to
shoot someone down and out from across the street, or asleep on a bench and
try and pass it off as social documentary.

Last summer you (and I mean the LUG here) raised money to send a young
photojournalist to Bucharest to live with and photograph some of the 5,000
homeless children who live in the sewers there. The project was more
daunting than Scott Squire or any of us imagined and he went missing after
nine brief dispatches. Well, he's surfaced again. About three months ago I
received in the mail an absolutely stunning portfolio of about sixty 11x14
images in color and black and white which far exceeded my wildest
expectations. With time to print and reflect, Scott's got a show now at the
the Berkeley Graduate School of Journalistm:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/temp/invite.jpg

I hope luggers on the west coast can make it and give the rest of us an
update. I also hope we can read Scott's narrative soon. You all did
something rare and wonderful -- you helped to create an important body of
work which would not have existed without your help and support. These
photos would not exist were it not for each of you who donated money, time,
and server space to this amazing project.

I'm glad to know every one of you.

Show details follow.

kc

DOWNSTAIRS: At Home with Romania's Underclass

Photographs by Scott Squire

May 7 - September 1, 2003

The Center for Photography

UCBerkeley Graduate School of Journalism
(Corner or Hearst and Euclid, Berkeley, CA)

Opening Reception Friday, May 16, 7:00pm

(Prints are for sale; proceeds will benefit the subjects)

Please feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who might be
interested.
Give me a call if you need directions (510) 526-1792

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: The LUG makes me proud sometimes.)
Reply from George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com> (Re: [Leica] The LUG makes me proud sometimes.)