Subject: Re: [Leica] Heading backwards. Need help
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 07:54:01 -0600

The Summilux 35 pre-Asph is a fine lens from f/2 on down. Some consider
it the equal of the 35/2. Unfortunately at f/1.4 it is flare prone with
pronounced coma and a plane of sharpness that is best described as
aberration laden fuzz. You should consider it a good f/2 lens with an
emergency extra stop that can only be used carefully under certain
conditions. Some wide open samples:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00551B

It is not that bad but it is not that good either. I have considered it
carefully myself as well due to its size but I use my Summilux Asph
wide open too often to switch. I compromised by taking the hood off my
Summilux Asph. It doesn't need it and now it is only slightly larger
than the 35/2 pre-Asph.

John Collier