Subject: [Leica] Non Leica Topic..New Canon 'L' series lens
From: "Dave Olson" <ckrosebud@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:35:05 +0000

This is not about Leica but about Canon, and I know there are a number of
photographers who enjoy both Leica and Canon for their respective
capabilities. Anyway, browsing the Canon lens list on the B&H website I
noticed a new (to me) zoom. It's an EOS 17-40 f4L. Canon must have been
reading my mind when their R&D people dreamed up this one. The information
is that is excellent with analog cameras (film) and excellent with digital.
It is designed to allow for the smaller chip that digital cameras have
compared to film. It takes a 77mm filter and is a 2 stage operation, one to
adjust focal lenght, the other for focus (manual mode). How good is it, I
don't know, I just ordered it for my EOS system but being an 'L' series I
anticipate excellent results. With the top end at 40, that puts it in the
'normal' range. We'll see.

Dave Olson