Subject: [Leica] Using the Leitz cassettes...
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 13:52:50 -0700

Hi!

     Recently, I've purchased 12 Leitz metal reusable 35mm
cassettes with aluminum cases, two of them for double film.
They seem like late forties or early fifties items and it's my
understanding that these are only for the screwmount cameras.
I've got two screwmount cameras, a Zorki I and a Leica D or II,
and I'll soon have a Canon.

      The cassettes will open in the camera fine with the Zorki.
However, with the Leica D, the baseplate does not have the
raised hook that catches the small blunt knob on the cassette,
necessary to move the cassette into the 'open' position inside
the camera and also back to 'close' to remove the film from the
camera.

     Also, I've received the Canon Rapid Winder that replaces the
baseplateon earlier Canon screwmount cameras.  I need to find a
camera for it (Canon II, III or IVs).  Looking at the Rapid Winder,
I also see no raised pin, so I assume this Rapid Winder will
not open/close the Leitz cassettes, either.  When I get a
camera for it, I will no for sure.  I think a small post/pin
could be added here.

      So, I need to have two small modifications made.   Since
the Leica needs a rangefinger adjustment as well, I'm considering
sending it off to Sherry K.  Does someone have her e-mail address?
I"ll send her a copy of this post.  I may send the Rapid Winder to
her as well, after I know for sure.

      My goal is to have all three cameras able to take the 12  Leitz
cassettes.

       Did Leica make metal reusable cassettes for
the M series cameras as well?

Thanks!

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California