Subject: RE: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:33:46 -0400

Gary,

> >  Well, I don't see how you figure.  The sensor is SMALLER than
> full frame
> > (1.3x)...and my guess, is in order to use a full frame sensor, just like
> > EVERY other manufacturer that is using a full frame sensor,
> Contax, Canon
> > and NOT Nikon...they had to revamp the lense mount.
> >
> > Austin
>
> For other camera makers the lens mount was re-done 10-15 years ago for
> auto-focus, not for digital.  The only exception is very late comer to AF
> Contax, which re-did its mount with digital in mind.

Now come on.  For "other" camera makers?  Isn't Canon the ONLY one?  I'd
hardly call the Contax change an "exception", as in fact, it's the current
rule, and the reason Nikon doesn't have a full frame sensor.

> But the N system and
> the disastrous N digital have not exactly taken the market by storm.

I'd hardly call the N-Digital a disaster, and I agree that it hasn't taken
the market by storm, but so what?  What on earth does that have to do with
my reply to your, IMO, errant claim that somehow Leica was ahead of the
curve?

> For
> the others, the less than one generation old AF mounts are problematic for
> full frame digital,

Nikon is, Canon isn't...again, so?

> If the R digital rumor is true, full frame or not, I think Leica has a
> decent interim solution with an R body/digital back that does not require
> investment in a whole new set of glass.

I assure you, Leica will not make any money from this.  The R line doesn't
do that well anyway, and this offering really has no merit IMO.  The number
of people this will benefit is very small.

> There is one given with chip sets, as they mature they shrink
> in size.

What do you mean "chip sets"?  What "chip sets" are you talking about?

> Leica and digital must stay behind the bleeding edge---

Oh, I thought you said they were "ahead of the curve"?  Now, not so?

> ...but what if as the chips shrink in size Leica is
> eventually able to fit a full sized sensor on the existing R
> mount.

What chip sets?  If you mean the processing chips, they are all custom made
at this point in time, and they are not the issue.  They are small enough as
they are, and the "chip set" has nothing to do with the size of the sensor
at all.

> ...and my former system Contax looks just plain
> silly.

Does it not produce fantastic images?  I think you're just sour grapes here,
Gary.  The N Digital is a simply amazing camera.  I know it has it's flaws,
but for what it's usable for, it does in fact make very good images.

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))