Subject: [Leica] NGS, Leicas and digital
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:44:20 +0000

I have just received the latest National Geographic and wanted to mention
two interesting presentations.

First, on a Leica topic:  William Albert Allard has an amazing spread on
Untouchables in India, shot with the M6.  The photos are beautiful, and the
story is sad and shocking.

Second, there is an aritcal on the Boundry Waters by James Brandenburg.  It
is, to my knowledge, the first full digital presentation in NG.

I have always felt that Brandenburg is one of the finest nature
photographers ever.   Always beautiful, moving and memorable.

Unfortunately, many of the photos in this spread are ruined by the crappy
image quality of the digital camera.  None of the larger shots is sharp, and
what would have been a beautiful two page spread of a buck in a field of
flowers looks like it was transferred from video.  I can't believe and
artist like Brandenburg accepted this kind of quality, much less the editors
of NG.

Digital may be great for PJ's, but it still can't touch film for pure
quality of reproduction.

Best wishes
Dan States