Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:53:45 -0400

> Daniel,

> > don't take it
> > >
> > > No, it's not the same.  You get the image with the N Digital,
> > and the image
> > > is exceptional.  Your analogy does not hold.
> >
> > And you can go someplace in first gear ... maybe not everywhere you want
> > to, but it will take you forward. Just like EI 100 is ok, sometimes, but
> > it just won't take most of the pictures you want. The ones it will take
> > are probably just super, though very monotonous, most likely. Just like
> > first gear. An excellent analogy.
>
> I disagree, the analogy doesn't hold at all.  With only 1st gear, you
don't
> get full practical use of the car.  With ISO 100, you do get full use of
the
> camera, and it's image taking ability.  You are equating an ISO 100 film
> then with not full use, which is obviously nonsense, you are getting FULL
> use of the camera at ISO 100.  When you choose a film that is ISO 100, you
> KNOW you are getting a film that is ISO 100.  When you buy a car that has
6
> gears, there is really not much to using the upper gears that is different
> than using the lower ones, which is NOT the case with the response curve
of
> a CCD.
>
> Now, if you want to equate it with something like "noise", then yes, when
> the car goes faster, the noise in the car increases, just like the noise
in
> the CCD increases.  Is the car still usable?  Certainly.  Does the
increased
> noise at higher speed mean the car is junk?  Certainly not.
>
> Point is, at ISO 100, you ARE realizing the full imaging potential of the
> camera.  Using 1st gear, you are not realizing the full driving potential
of
> the car.
>
> Austin

Give it up Austin, you just supported my analogy!  The full photographic
potential of the ND is NOT realized at only 100 ASA.  Period.  To say
anything else is ludicrous...ROTFL......

The more you beat this point to death the sillier you look.  Why not go to
work for Contax and resurrect the ND?   Maybe they will re-badge it the
"Contax N Digital AF (Austin Franklin) One Speed Fits All."  And after
you're done with Contax, go and see Ferrari and see if they will buy into a
first gear only Ferrari.  "FGOF"

Gary

Gary