Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:20:59 -0500

Its as real a Leica as anything else they have made.  Yes it started with a
minolta chassis, but from that point on it is all Leica.  I compared the So
Called Minolta Leica with the Genuine Minolta it was supposed to be a copy
of and the Leica won hands down in all categories.  no comparison
what-so-ever.  From the R5 on the Minolta content was even less.  Actually
the electronics of all R's from the 4 on were never Minolta electronics, as
I understand it, the electronics were done by an English concern
commissioned by Leica.  I also have a Nikon F3, but do not use it as my
R4SP is a better camera in my opinion.  It is not as modular, but I have
never needed any of the extra finders, backs etc.  I have two view screens
for the R4SP and that covers all situations.  The motor is great, but
lately I have removed it to reduce weight and sound.  Oh yes, it also came
out just about the same time as the F3, so tech wise they were/are in step
with the competition.

As for autofocus, the Leica Correfot system was the basis for the Honeywell
autofocus system which is the grandfather of the autofocus systems in use
today.  Leica just did not persue the technology/or was not interested...

Gene

                      "Austin Franklin"
                      <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>            To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  RE: [Leica] Re: Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
                      -alto.ca.us

                      05/27/2003 02:30 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> That's funny, I have a Aperture Priority Leica that is 15 years old,
Where
> have you been??

Well, yeah, Gene...but is it REALLY a Leica?

;-)

(will duck and run now...)

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))