Subject: [Leica] Re. On Topic - Wim Wenders
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:53:11 -0400

Ernie wrote:

Just picked up his book 'ONCE' - suitably impressed and it's On Topic
because he has photos of Xmas time in Australia where it was so hot he
burned his hands on his Leica! ---- may not be eveyone's cup of tea but
i like the book.  don't know much about him as a film maker and have
never seen any of his movies - may have to explore that further.

I think I was looking at that book last fall. At Borders on Erie Blvd,
right? (Sorry for the regionalism - Ernie and I live in neighboring
cities.) I was going to buy it next time I was there, because while I
wasn't very impressed at first, the mood and spirit of his stuff stayed
with me.

If I remember, he shot a lot of the stuff while scouting locations for
filming. Made me think of Robert Frank's "The Americans." While it's not
that dark, they both capture the vast emptiness of the west, and what must
be a particularly American isolation and impermanence. It's hard to put
into words.

One film you should be able to get easily is "Buena Vista Social Club," the
documentary about some great, almost forgotten Cuban musicians. The music
gets under your skin just like Wenders' photos. He also did "Paris, Texas,"
which I haven't seen, but again the music (Ry Cooder) is very moody and
dreamlike. And - Nastassja Kinski!

Carl