Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Wide zooms
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:51:50 -0700

Karen Nakamura offered:
 RE: Wide zooms

>>> Contemporary primes will always outclass contemporary zooms. <<<

Hello Karen,

Sorry ma'am the Leica R 70-180 2.8 zoom when set at 100mm is equal to the
prime Leica R 100mm 2.8 macro! And probably when set at any mm is better
than or equal to the best other R lenses within the 70-180 range.

At one time what you posted was quite true, however in Leica's case, their
"Leica made" zooms of late are master piece lenses and amazingly the best
cutting glass around equal to primes.

I realize there'll be some doom sayers disputing my comments, pay them no
heed as they've probably never owned and used the 70-180 and the 100 mm
macro at the same time on the same shoot. Trust me in a few situations our
70-180 set at 100mm and transp film comparing the slides back to back on a
4' X 8' light table, it was extremely difficult to decide which slide was
which prime to zoom simply because thy both were amazingly sharp and
produced beautiful colour slides.

So it "ain't like it was in the olden days" prime verses zooms. :-) However,
I must add that we're referring to only Leica lenses and not all other lens
manufactures.

ted

Message from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (RE: [Leica] RE: Wide zooms)