Subject: RE: [Leica] The new digital reality -
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 07:47:49 -0400

Hi, Rich - First, and this is a general comment - I'd point out once
again that while I am open to new technology, and am excited about
certain aspects of digital, I am still primarily a Leica-shooting film
user, and I still prefer the look of B&W film to digital. I am neither a
digital expert, nor someone who is out to proclaim digital a "king" of
some sort - I was simply telling a story and raising questions...

That said...there are storage questions about traditional photography as
well. There was a recent story in, I believe, the Washington Post
Magazine about Corbis and its storage facility underground in Western
Penna. One of the things Corbis has acquired is the priceless Betaman
Archives - which are literally falling apart. Traditional photo
technology has its own life-span problems, but until the advent of
digital, and some people's apparent need to attack it on any grounds
they could find, not only weren't most photographers asking "how long"
will a given photo paper or film last, it wasn't even something that
crossed their mind. Our recent obsession with the archival nature of
images and material is just that, recent.