Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:35:49 -0400

Tim,

> > Hum.  I'm not sure what the problem you had with your 4x5...but there is
> > some irony that you accept a consumer digicam P&S image over a
> 4x5 as "the
> > picture".
> >

> Why?

If you don't understand why, then what on earth are you doing here?  I know
that Leica sells some little P&S film cameras, and little P&S digicams, but
the majority of people here use Leica M's and R's, and for very intentional
purposes, which is typically image quality.

> In the end good picture, even "the" picture really has nothing to do
> with the quality of the equipment, the resolution of the lens or even the
> quality of the film. All those are merely secondary.

For some, true...but not for many, at least for me, and I'm sure for many
others here.  But, that should certainly not be the case for the specific
case that Johnny brought up.  There is a substantial difference in form and
function between someone attempting to get a shot with a 4x5, and then again
taking the "same" shot with a P&S digicam, and somehow being satisfied with
the results.

If what you say was true, then we should all be using little P&S digicams
and being very happy with the results...but that is not the case.  There is
a lot of work I do that I'm not happy with any 35mm results, and the images
warrant MF.  I don't believe most of us would be using Leica M's if what you
claim is true, we should simply throw them out into the trash.  Of course,
that is a completely foolish notion, IMO, but if I've convinced you to do
so, please let me know your address and when trash day is.

I believe Johnny is simply digi-euphoric at this point in time.  It seems to
be a common ailment these days.  Anyone who is going to use a 4x5 for a shot
has a specific purpose for using a 4x5 for that shot.  If they failed to get
a shot with the 4x5, then either it was the wrong tool for the job, or their
skill in the use of a 4x5 fall to question.  If he is satisfied with the
little P&S digicam shot, then, IMO, he was certainly using the wrong tool
for the job in the first place.

I find the whole claim of not being able to "get" a particular shot with a
4x5 and then being happy with a little P&S digicam image of the "same" shot
really funny.

Austin