Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel - examples as requested
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:57:16 -0400

Johnny,

> One big point is that an LCD allows you to frame with the camera NOT at
> your eye.

Of course, I believe that everyone already has that understanding if they
have every used a camera (video or still) with an LCD...and that property is
not unique to an LCD.

> Watch a decent photographer shooting with an LCD and you
> will see them waving the camera around almost comically...

Name a decent digicam that has an LCD that is active in real time.......
Hum.  All you'll find is little P&S digicams...which, I'm not sure, many
"decent" photographers would choose as a tool in the first place...so I'm
not sure how I'd be able to watch them...

> now it is
> over their head, now at their shoes.

So?  This is a technique that people have been doing for longer than you or
I have been alive and is not only applicable to an LCD viewfinder.  I spend
a lot of time climbing on things, and laying on the ground to get a
different composition...  The waist level finder of any MF camera provides
the same thing, and it's about the same size...and I do as you suggest quite
frequently...move it around to get a composition I like.

> ...As usual it's entertaining to
> see you in a full spate of denial about something (and no doubt you'll
> deny that you're in denial)...

Well, It's humorous that you claim it as denial, simply to somehow dismiss
credence to my challenge.  How weak.  I'm just pointing out that the "style"
you are in elation about has been around for a long time, and that the
real-time LCD is only available on a little P&S digicam, and that the LCD
display is in fact inferior to an optical display for all but little P&S
digicams (as far as photography goes, for video, that's a different story).

> but the fact remains that I and many others
> find the LCD a liberating and inspiring tool on occasion and... yes...

Perhaps you may consider that "liberating and inspiring", but that's way too
fluff bunny for me.  I do find it useful on occasion, no doubt.

> I also use pinhole cameras. Whatever works.

Absolutely.  One thing we agree on.

Austin