Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 135mm framelines and finders
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:06:13 -0600

If your M2 has a serial number of approximately 1 05x xxx or higher, it
can be inexpensively converted to the six frame mask set. The earlier
M2s use a different design of finder and you would have to change the
whole finder. Unfortunately, you also have to remove a finder optical
element when fitting the six frame mask set and SOMETIMES this results
in unacceptable shifting of the superimposed image as your eye moves in
the finder. A good Leica tech always checks this carefully when
installing a six frame finder set. If you just want the 135 mm
frameline set, then talk to one of the good Leica techs and the next
time they switch an M4 to a six frame finder they can save the old four
frame mask set for your camera (as long as it has the newer finder
design). That way you just get the extra frameline set you want. Also
then the extra element does not have to be removed.

I did have a separate 135mm finder at one time and I checked it
carefully against the camera finder and it agreed at all distances.
While the 135mm finder is great in that it gives you a life sized, you
also have to set the focused distance on the finder to adjust for
parallax error. In fast moving situations I would always forget so I
sold the separate finder.

John Collier