Subject: Re: [Leica] Is it a bargain: Digilux 1 v. Panasonic clone
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:00:19 -0400

At 01:36 PM 6/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>I'd very much appreciate input on whether the Digilux 1 and the
>Panasonic are really identical--I know both have Leica glass.

Slightly different body shape, comes with different software and different
size memory card.  Results are the same.  I can't tell a difference in the
photos unless I look at the file name.

>   Is the
>price on the Panasonic a fair price?

Very fair.

>I'm concerned that blowing out the
>Panasonic might be a prelude to a newer, much more advanced model. Is
>the Digilux 1/Panasonic already so out of date that it's better to wait
>for the next generation in this breathtakingly-rapid era of
>technological expansion?

You're probably right, but if you wait for the newest, best, cheapest
digital, you'll never buy anything.  In the meantime you could be learning
how to use a digital camera and what to do with the files and having fun!

>past, I brought along an Olympus Stylus, processed color negative film
>at a local 1 hour shop and returned with the prints; I'm thinking of the
>Panasonic as a substitute for this approach (of course, I'd bring a
>small printer for use in the hotel room).

You may find that they are happy just getting to see the photos on the LCD
screen.  My daughter used the Lumix and Digilux as I used my M's to
photograph at an adult day center this morning.  The people were so excited
to be able to see their photos immediately that I was able to get lots of
happy film photos of them.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com