Subject: Re: [Leica] Any thoughts on this flare problem?
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:11:11 -0500

Alastair

Photo 1 I really like and do not see any flair problem on my screen.  I see
what you are talking about on the second one though.

Waiting to see more.

Gene

                      Alastair Firkin
                      <firkin@ncable.net.au>              To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] Any thoughts on this flare problem?
                      -alto.ca.us

                      06/09/2003 07:29 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

G'day all,
I recently had the chance to visit Antelope canyon. I was desperate to
work on some of the flowing sandstone shapes in both colour and b/w.
The canyons are quite narrow, and to my surprise, present a major
problem of "contrast". Of course, I should have realized, but nothing
beats being there. My first images are "failures". Despite keeping the
lens out of the direct line of the light as it pours through the
ceiling the 15 mm Super elmar has created a chicken pox effect with
small dots of flare -- small I presume as I was using f16 or f22.
Am I right in thinking this is due to the highlights bouncing around in
the lens barrel? Is there any way to avoid this flare? Is the older
super elmar more prone to flare than the newer version -- not that I
could afford the newer one, or the trip back to Arizona !!!!

Please visit:
http://stairfirkin.com/Mayimages/antelopeflare1.jpg

http://stairfirkin.com/Mayimages/antelopeflare2.jpg

to see my problem. Not that I can easily return to Antelope Canyon ;-)

I will be slowly posting some images of our trip, as I work on them in
the darkroom (and with the scanner).

Alastair