Subject: Re: [Leica] Virus in Phong Message
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:13:36 -0700

It is important that you understand that this is not true:

> Since I have only those on the
> LUG as possible sources in common with him, it must have somehow been
> attached to his message and made it through the LUG system.

Every time anybody on the LUG sends a message to the LUG, that person's email address is in your system. For example, when this message arrives at your computer, my email address will be in your system.

If you got a virus, that virus would find my email address and would send a message directly to me, bypassing the LUG. While it is true that the LUG is the only thing that we have in common, the actual transmission of the virus does not involve the LUG. The LUG mailer *does not* and *will not* transmit viruses.

If you get a message that purports to come from the LUG, but which has a binary attachment, you can and should delete it, because it is not LUG mail.