Subject: RE: [Leica] Parasites and the so called "third world' - way OT
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:30:11 -0400

At 12:47 PM 6/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Bird schistosomes usually produce the world's worst itching for a week, but
>no serious health problems. From wading in salt water. Human schistosomiasis
>is from wading in fresh water. It is nasty for the long term.
>
>Barefoot-caused problems are primarily hookworm (causing anemia) and
>Strongyloides stercoralis.
>
>JLS

The guys on our trip were more concerned about the Candiru, a parasitic
fish that lives in the river and swims up private parts.  It extends its
spines and is impossible to remove without surgery.  We had to get out and
push the canoe through several low water areas and the guys were very
careful not get certain parts in the river!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: