Subject: Re: [Leica] Snapshots vs 'art'
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:29:57 +1000

Not everyone will see photography as art: who cares, not everyone sees
painting as art. To many people capturing "snaps" is enough, and modern
equipment allows even the ham fisted to make "images". The challenge
for the photographer remains the same today as it did when the medium
was invented -- to convince the public -- or some of the public-- to
appreciate the work, dedication and creative talents of a photographer,
and they do. On the popular level, there are "superstar" photographers
who capture the imagination of a world wide audience, right down to
those who say to me -- "I know you are a photographer, I could not do
that", when of course they probably could, IFFFFFFF they made the
effort and had the interest and passion. So everyone who thinks they
are talented doesn't make a living, do you think all painters do?

Cheers