Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: pardon my venting : DAMN I hate color work !
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:19:15 -0400

Au contraire mon ami.  Color is more difficult because
there's more to take into consideration. Often everything
else works in the scene, except the color.  Then what do
you do ?  Shoot in B&W.  Then colorize with that Marshall stuff.

To say B&W portrays the soul, the character, etc. is one thing.
To say it is more difficult is another.  I think some people
see (and dream) in B&W, others in color, though not necessarily
the same way all the times, and often in stereotypes.  I can see
spring and summer in color, but not in B&W.  Fall and winter works
in both schemes for me.  Rock & roll, definitely color.  So is
Country.  Jazz is monochrome.  Classical is more B&W.  Coke is color.
Pepsi is B&W.  Just kidding.

On the other hand, you hate color work because of the scanning,
not because your vision is in B&W.  You should try digital :-)

Lately, I've been dreaming in B&W, and damn if I can get it on
print with a digital camera.  I am thinking I just may do it in
B&W film which I haven't in a loooooonnnng time.  Should pay more
attention to Mark Rabiner's posts.  Oh well.  Let's see Tri-X,
T-MAX or Neopan ?

- - Phong