Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:03:30 -0700

Geez, here we go again...  Didn't we beat this to death during the big
thread on DOF, FOV, focal length, and small sensors we had a few months ago?
Small sensors are fine if you don't mind huge depth of field all the time,
but they make it really hard to get shallow DOF with wider FOVs.  With the
EOS10D, I have to mount a 20mm to get close to my customary 35mm FOV.  At
f2.8, everything from about 8 ft to infinity is in focus.  Just wonderful.
:-(

The only cameras that are viable, no compromise alternatives to film right
now (for my purposes) are the EOS1ds and the Kodak DSC14, and it's not just
a question of resolution or sensor fidelity.

Roll on, full frame digital...  ;-)

- --Jim