Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:53:57 -0700

"David W. Almy" wrote:

> Frank,
>
> And I'm looking forward to using my 180/250 Summicron on the R9 with the new
> (1.37x) 10mp digital back.
>
> :-)
>
> DWA

If you want to make your lens "act" like a longer one and not shoot
digital just print them with a half frame negative carrier.

And you could your mount your slides in half frame slide mounts.

Epoxy glue your enlarger to the top of its column.

The dramatics of a 250 lens sure beats a 180!

Kidding but if you are able to shoot slower film you can crop lavishly
with less ill effect.

One photographer who has as a matter of course done so; Richard Avedon.
He often takes a half frame (24x18mm) area out of a 60x60mm neg and blow
it up the size of the wall and no one complains. The wall is often the
one at the Met.

Also extreme cropping involves re composing the picture. You can end up
with a vertical when what you shot was a horizontal. There is an
advantage in this  There is an advantage to not being a die hard full
frame black border zealot.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com