Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "Michael E. Berube" <MEB@GoodPhotos.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:38:33 -0400

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:50:47 -0700 (PDT),  B.D. quoth unto the boundless Leica Users digest Ether...
>Similarly, a full-frame, 11 mgp sensor captures humongous files,
>which fills up cards too damn fast - and takes too long between
>images, for the kind of work many photo journalists do. Yes, the day
>may come, and soon, when the storage is no longer an issue, and the
>speed problem has been eliminated

Were Nikon to follow suit with a full frame chip, I'd want one for the same reason that I want a Kodak 14n... I shot a wedding in a very tight quartered country manor inn yesterday with my D100. Too often found that I had to change lenses from the 17-35 to the 24-70 (so that I could shoot beyond the 25-52mm E35FL of the 17-35.)  I'd be happy with a 17-55 (25-80 E35FL) I suppose if they could make it 2.8, sharp and reasonably affordable, but more likely a full frame would solve the problem as I'd be able to use the lenses that I already am happy to use with my F100 and FM2n.

As for having to deal with the slower & bigger files of a larger chip...most cameras will allow you to shoot smaller than max file size. Even if I had the 14n (or a similar Nikon) I can't see that for most field work the small gain in enlarge-ability over the 6MP file that I have now would outweigh the speed and storage hassles of an 11-14MP file. I'm making excellent 11X14's and very nice 16X24's (Fuji Frontier printed to an Epson 7600) with a 3008X2000 1:4 JPG image file. If I could do the same AND use my 24/2.8 AF Nikkor with 24mm angle of view, what more could I ask for?
(The same capability with a Leica M?!)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Bérubé
www.goodphotos.com