Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:36:06 -0400

I'm going to take a stab at this. I work for a commercial printer in Ottawa,
and have lived the challenges of prepress and image size. I 've created a
small spreadsheet that calculates image size based on line screen.

The rule of thumb in the press world is that the DPI rating of an image
should be about twice the halftone line screen (LPI) used to generate
film/plates. In the regular commercial offset world, halftone screens are
generally 150-175 LPI. Therefore any image used should be 300 to 350 DPI. In
the newsprint land, because of the presses and stock used, line screens are
generally 85-100 LPI. The corresponding image DPI should be in the 150-200
DPI range. There is considerable latitude in this rule, primarily based on
the image. Softer images are generally more forgiving. One thing I always
remind my less technically savy clients that the DPI is the final -- as
opposed to starting -- resolution. I have had clients who start with a 4 x 5
300 DPI image, and enlarge it 200% in Quark. Doesn't work!

I don't work with digital cameras (yet) but this should give some help to
those need to work with digital images and the print world. If I'm off track
on any this, I'd appreciate some friendly correction!

Here are some sample image size calculations from my spreadsheet. I checked
these calculations by creating dummy PhotoPaint documents, and they seem to
be in the ball park, for TIFF images at least. JPGs are completely different
beasts with the lossy compression settings, and native CPT or PSD files have
lots of other factors affecting file sizes.

Offset, B&W, 150 LPI halftone

height: 9 inches
width: 6 inches
area: 54 square inches
dpi: 300
total pixels: 4,860,000
colour depth: 8 bits (256 grays)
image size, bits: 38,880,000
image size, bytes: 4,860,000, or 4.9MB (note: one byte = 8 bits)

Offset, colour, 150 LPI halftone

height: 9 inches
width: 6 inches
area: 54 square inches