Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica images
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:45:36 -0400

Thank you Phong.

Your observations are interesting and appreciated. I just read an article in
LensWork that talked about finding your "vision". One of the nice things
about joining this listserv is that it has motivated me to post my work. The
exercise of going through literally 20 years of slides allowed me to "fine
tune" what I thought worked. And, as the article talked about, once you hone
in on what you think works, do more! And with such an educated, vocal and
fortunately polite audience, I am looking forward to doing so.

On the PAW May 30 image, I did some minor sharpening, but only one level. I
think the detail on the neg (FP4, stopped down to F16 I believe, and on a
tripod) is greater than can be rendered effectively on a montor at that
size. I have over sharpened some images, especially slightly off-focus or
low depth of field images...but that's only for me to know! Can't do that in
the darkroom tho...although I remember reading years ago about W. Eugene
Smith using "focussing developer" -- his famous bleach techniques!.