Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:19:30 -0700

on 06/15/03 9:36 AM, Jim McIntyre at mcintyre@ca.inter.net wrote:

> The rule of thumb in the press world is that the DPI rating of an image
> should be about twice the halftone line screen (LPI) used to generate
> film/plates. In the regular commercial offset world, halftone screens are
> generally 150-175 LPI. Therefore any image used should be 300 to 350 DPI. In
> the newsprint land, because of the presses and stock used, line screens are
> generally 85-100 LPI.

Generally true, but I've worked for a newspaper that used 90+ LPI. And we
had about the best reproduction in the Midwest. The Kansas City AP Bureau
Photo Chief Cliff Schiappa told me about one paper that used to run a 150LPI
web press. They had fantastic reproduction and everyone continually
scratched their heads at how they pulled it off without having problems with
their dots bleeding into each other. They must have had some pretty darn
good "engravers." :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"No one is fool enough to choose war instead of peace -- in peace sons bury
fathers, but in war fathers bury sons."

Croesus, king of Lydia, in Homeršs Odyssey