Subject: [Leica] Leica MP flare supression
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:54:56 +0200

Just a fact, if some of you are interested:

there was the Laica days at the Photo Alpha Shop here in Brussels the 12 13
and 14 of june.

At this occasion, I had the opportunity to try everuthing from Leica.

I searched with my Leica M6 TTL a very flare prone situation, and compared
the M6 TTL with the MP.
The result is quite amazing, where you cannot do anything with the TTL, the
MP is cristal clear.

The flare in the TTL is more present when the eye is off axis, wich is
happening very often as I wear glasses (my eye is more distant to the
viewfinder, hence the error placement is more sensible). I also noticed
while studying the phenomenon that looked at some distance (let's say 20 cm)
and having the eye at infinity, the flare has a hollow circle shape, in wich
you can still see the image through the right little window, the outer
circle beeing white out. I could find the same white out flare in the MP
telemeter window, but only in pushing the eye to the most decentered
position you can have in the viewfinder, surely not a normal position, even
a little usual decentered position for a glasses wearing one.

So my experience is that the MP is far better regarding the flare problem
than the M6 TTL and M7.

I could also observe that the direct reflexions in the windows of the
viewfinder seen from the face of the camera is blueish for the MP and the M7
present at the demo, different than the normal colored reflexion of the M6
TTL windows. I don't know what's the difference this coating is giving.

I more and more think of buying one day an MP, in place of an M7, for this
advantage, and also for the appeal added by the different retro buttons (I'm
that kind sensible to this, more than to an open priority program, I managed
it well with the M6 TTL)

If you had experience,similar or different, I'm interested

Grégoire Vandenschrick

Replies: Reply from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica MP flare supression)