Subject: [Leica] RE: 28mm PC thoughts?
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:45:23 +0200

>As a side note, any thoughts on PC lenses and their effectiveness vs
>quality would be appreciated too.

Dave

PC lenses, in my small experience, are very sharp mainly due to the
large circle of image but not very fast so there are not very usefull
for general purposes. But for their main characteristic, shifting and,
someone, tilting, they are very useful for architectural pictures. You
need a tripod, a bubble for leveling, and a special screen for getting
parallel lines and, very often if not always, metering before shifting;
otherwise the picture is underexposed.

35mm is not enough wide and 28 is better for building pictures. The
Canon 24TSE is rather too wide but has both shifting and tilting and, as
you can crop the images is, with the EOS 1Ds, the perfect tool for
architectural images.

Well better tool is,the one I'm right now using: a Linhof Supertechnika
with Schneider 90mm lens, but this belong to other much slower world;
preparing everything, framing, focusing, metering, sliding the
filmholder and taking the picture takes, for me, more than 30 minutes
for every picture. Not exactly great productivity. But the pictures are
great!

I'm sure that you will enjoy your 35mm PC lenses, I got using it without
tripod nor leveling: just point something at the same height that your
camera, for instance the head of someone near the building and keeping
this angle of the camera, presumibly horizontal, shift the lens until
you get the whole building inside your finder. Need fast film as the
lens is slow.

I hope this can help.

Kind regards

Felix