Subject: [Leica] Canyonlands 2003
From: "Wade Heninger" <heninger@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:00:00 -0700

Each year my brother, brothers-in-law (ahem, "the men") mark off a about
as much time as we can spare for the hallowed "ain't life simple with
everything on my back" backpack trip.

Historically, this has gravitated to the desert southwest somewhere
(Viva Red Rock!  Coyotes Unite!).  Some place inhospitable, manly and
hard.  Where water, when you find it, is 4 miles from camp, up a canyons
in small scummy puddles full of with water bugs, lizards and the like.
Where the heat often exceeds 108 degrees and that 10L camelback bladder
full of said water becomes your most important asset (however
mineral-hard it tastes).

You can have your beaches, with their attendant blue water.  You can
have your alpine granite, ridgelines and crampons.  You can have your
Xbox and the cathode-ray nipple.

I'll take red rock, lizards and scraggly juniper, thankyouverymuch!

This year, we wandered off in the Needles district of Canyonlands
National Park, UT. It was hot, the hiking was physically challenging and
the surrounding views were stunning.

Each night we sat around, headlamps aglow to read from the good book
(Edward Abbey, that is), play cards and make fun of how fast one or the
other came down with heat exhaustion. But I digress...

http://www.heninger.org/gallery/canyonlands2003/index.htm

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
i n t e r a c t i o n  d e s i g n
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c .