Subject: RE: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:42:32 -0400

Uh, hello? All of this discussion of archival media is fascinating, but
would anyone on this list of hobbyists and working pros care to tell us
what loss it would be to the world if some of our images faded a bit or
just plain disappeared? I'd certainly love to be discovered after my
death like a Disfarmer, but somehow I doubt that's in the cards. ;-)

I find it fascinating that prior to the arrival on the scene of digital
capture and printing, lists like this didn't waste allot of time on
endless threads about the archival nature of film, prints, etc. I don't
know about the rest of you, but when I look at prints of color photos my
father took in the late 30s, 40s, and even the 50s, I can only smile at
some of the truly bizarre color shifts.

And btw, does everyone who is bemoaning the possible problems with
digital storage have all their negatives catalogued, in archival
envelopes, stored in a temperature controlled dust-free environment?

Just curious.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Film is Archival)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Film is Archival)