Subject: RE: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: "Michael Chmilar" <chmilar@mminternet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:49:25 -0000

bdcolen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> said:

> Uh, hello? All of this discussion of archival media is fascinating, but
> would anyone on this list of hobbyists and working pros care to tell us
> what loss it would be to the world if some of our images faded a bit or
> just plain disappeared?

It will be important to historians, who can learn a lot from
the type of "snapshots" that are most likely to be lost.

The "art" that we wrap our egos around will be of less interest
to historians. Of course, that is the stuff that _we_ think is
important to preserve!

A few years ago, I read the Penguin "History of the World." At
the beginning of the section on China, the authors admitted that
they could tell almost nothing about the life of the average
peasant in historical China, because of the complete dearth of
writings or pictures depicting their lives. Plenty of material
exists from the ruling and educated classes, but no one bothered
to document the peasants. They were of no value.

In a thousand years, when historians dig up my archives and scan
the CD-ROMs with their laser-enhanced eyes, they will think that
Western North America was infested by "mooses gazing at mountains"
and empty landscapes. No people! It's very sad.

later,
Mike