Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Film is Archival
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:22:42 -0700

on 06/21/03 3:44 AM, Eric at ericm@pobox.com wrote:

> I'd love to be able to get my hands on well preserved B&W negatives of my
> early childhood.  Or of my parents when they were younger.

You know, I had a nephew die back in Sept. '99. Last year I took all the
photos I had of him, and asked my mother to get all the photos she and my
brother (his father) had and send them to me. I spent many, many hours
scanning and Photoshopping those photos.

Then I used iPhoto on my Mac to upload the photos to Apple and had a book
printed on Archival museum quality paper, hard bound in a linen book. (13
pages and about 40 photos for $60). The photos covered my nephew's life from
the day he was born to the family trip they took a few weeks before he died.

It was a close call, but I gave it to my brother an sister-in-law this past
Christmas. My sister cried, but said she loved it. My parents, who were
close to him, asked me for a copy as well.

Some of the photos were taken just for fun, or to test a new camera or lens,
or a new film. Some I took simply out of boredom. Not to mention all the
"official" photos at family events and his birthdays.

A lot of wonderful photos that in context said a lot about his life. Photos
in some cases people wouldn't miss as long as he was around. It's hard in
the present to figure out what will be important to history.

Digital or film, we need to keep everything that's close to useable in some
future context. Except of ex-wives, of course. :-P

- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here
now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they
were fired into Kuwait."

- -Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information