Subject: Re: [Leica] Archival digiital printing
From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:23:06 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

I hope your message will create a large volume of
ideas exchanged. Most likely it will wander about
several topics, as this original post asks several
questions, all of them relevant and thought provoking.

So I'll put in my $.02 and get out of the way. I don't
think that digital B&W printing should be compared to
wet chemistry B&W printing. The paper, ink, and
primary source (digital file) are all very different
from those used in a wet darkroom environment. I
really believe this is a new medium in it's infancy;
much like the early prints of the last century. People
like Adams, Bresson, etc. defined the medium for their
type of artistry. I think we will see the same occur
for digital printing. It's very exciting to watch;
even more so to be a part of.

So I'll get out of the way now; go have another scotch
and get much to profound for anyone, let alone myself,
to bear.

Take care and thanks for starting this thread. I hope
it develops as I'll enjoy watching it.
Bob

- --- Jim McIntyre <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> wrote in
part:
> So, if possible, I would like to hear some
> discussions/advice on:
>
> a) what solutions there are for archival digital
> prints, both B&W and colour
> b) opinions on the current technology and the
> results that are possible
> c) does a skilled eye and excellent darkroom skills
> still beat the pants of
> digital printing, and
> d) speculation on what's around the corner for this.

=====
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
rgacpa@pacbell.net