Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:49:42 +0100

On 25/6/03 17:24, "Douglas Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com> wrote:
>

>> $5,200 for a 10MP reduced-frame digital back, that requires a
>> $2,000 camera to work, and that won't be available for
>> another 16 months.  Interesting!??
>
> I consider these to be working specs.  As technology develops over the next
> year or so I would be very surprised if the digital back's specs don't also
> change.
>

> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
> --

I very much doubt that the product development lifecycle will allow for
significant changes, certainly not without significant cost.  If you start
moving the goal posts you risk a) escalating and uncontrolled costs, b) a
never finished project/product, c) missing the market opportunity.

Fundamentally, if this is, as you say, a working spec, then the announcement
is in totality  a waste of time.  What is the point of announcing something
16-18 months ahead if in all likelihood it will be something different.
They are playing a dangerous game.

I suspect it will be as stated.

Simon