Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:44:44 -0700

On 2003-06-25 jerryleh@pacbell.net (Jerry Lehrer) thoughtfully wrote:

>Sound almost like Boeing announcing a plane that they will,
>may, might be, won't be building.
>
>Jerry

Clearly you haven't been following Boeing over the past couple of years
- - they have been doing exactly that with the 747x and the Sonic Cruiser.

Just showing they have a clear view of a product and how it will be
engineered is useful.

I would hope they would be able to meet a better spec - but then I have
no/zip/zero idea of the lead time between the software needed to service
the chip and the attendant support hardware.

But Austin and Brian could probably tell us: can you design the
softare/hardware system in an appropriate manner so the chip becomes a
RELATIVELY easy thing to change?

I have a bad feeling that the whole thing is in concert and that
surrounding hardware/software is co-mingled in some devious way that
will make it difficult to change the chip without massive changes in
other places.

It would be nice if the sensor platform itself were engineered to be
replaceable so that when new/better chips were introduced that they
could be upgraded but I don't think there's a defined buss structure for
the chips.

Now I have to deal with my solar hot-water system melt-down. Sigh.

Later

Adam

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced)