Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:02:10 -0600

Frank et al--

I like your line of thinking. Very reasonable. Especially the part about
being able to have two modes of "capture." The introduction of a digital
option for the R system is a convenience, and expands the versatility of the
system, keeping Leica's promise not to create obsolescence in the system.

Folks like to blast the "two modes" argument by saying that those who shoot
sporting events won't want to be switching back and forth between digi and
film, that it will be a nuisance. I doubt that many people are going to go
that route anyway. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (only Krispy Kreme for this
Southern gal) that in the long run, many folks will have two R bodies and
one will carry the module permanently. There will be the back-and-forthers,
too, but remember that you can't have film in the camera at the same time
you are using the digital back! And, as some other cranky LUG'er pointed
out, those who do sports or action work in digi mode are probably using a
Canon system already, and don't have Leicas or aren't interested in using
Leica for that purpose.

I can see someone like Doug Herr, who often converts his film images to
digital for various purposes, enjoying a product like this. There are
probably others, too, who would feel the same way, for similar or different
reasons. And there are those who just really enjoy using their R cameras,
who will not abandon film for digital, but will add digital to their film
capability. I like digital for some things, and not for others. The things
that turn me away from digital are the very things that the Digital Module R
solves: gives me lots of lens and accessory options that the compact digital
cameras do not. To be able to have that option in one system is a pretty fun
thing. (And to quote Ben and Jerry, "If it isn't fun, why do it?")

To argue that the digital back is too expensive is not really a legitimate
question for an R-enthusiast ... about a dozen of the 28 or so lenses that
are currently available for the R system are already over $5000 apiece (some
are over $10,000), and there are half a dozen that aren't far behind. So
anyone using an R is already geared up to spend the bucks on the system
anyway. For someone who has an outfit that coud easily be worth $50,000
already, spending $5000 on an accessory may not be such a big deal. At some
point one has to admit that photography is an expensive
profession/passion/hobby, and that to choose Leica as one's instrument of
choice just adds another layer of expense to the activity.

By analogy--though I know this will get me into trouble--not everyone can or
wants to drive an Aston-Martin, but there are those who do, and who are
willing to pay the extra money to get what that experience offers.

Clearly the most logical option in the long-term is the introduction of a
purely digital R-type body. Now there's a rumor to chew on!

Kit