Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:19:16 -0400

Simon Lamb wrote:
> On 26/6/03 6:47 pm, "Rolfe Tessem" <rolfe@ldp.com> wrote:
>

>>Simon Lamb wrote:
>>
>>>SNIP
>>>Really, it sounded pretty good to me already and I'm sure they will do a
>>>good deal of refining and tweaking before it hits Photokina
>>>
>>>Frank
>>>
>>>You need to read the transcript.  It has been categorically stated that the
>>>spec. will not change since the designs are finalised and the proejct
>>>estimated and costed.  Also, Leica believe that 10MP is enough and the
>>>quality is there (well, it is if Kodak do a better job than they did on the
>>>14n!)
>>>
>>>Simon
>>
>>According to yesterday's press conference, the sensor in the Kodak 14n
>>is not made by Kodak, so it is obviously impossible to draw any
>>connection between that camera and the projected Leica Digital.
>

> Wow, that is even worse.  Kodak outsource the sensor for their own flagship
> camera and now Leica use them to design the sensor for their flagship.

AFAIK, the Kodak CCD sensors used in a variety of medium format backs
are highly regarded. Also, Imacon has lots of experience with their own
medium format and view camera digital backs. People who have used Imacon
scanners have commented on the high quality of the software.

I believe that the Kodak 14n actually uses a CMOS sensor, so it really
is apples and oranges.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014