Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:00:28 +1000

G'day all,
to me this is the real question. There is no doubt that resolution,
file size and sensor size will continue to increase (?improve), but
perhaps you have to start somewhere. Leica (believe the spin or not)
claim that the proposed chip will deliver quality worthy of their
offering a digital back. If they are correct, then the quality may well
be adequate for nearly all applications, and in 18 months time, a 10MP
image file may well handle faster, be stored shipped and processed
faster and better than a 40MP file. Iffffff you don't need the extra
file size, iffffffff the image from the sensor is indistinguishable for
practical purposes, and ifffffff they can find advantages and convince
people of them, then the idea of an interchangeable back is a good one.

Leica claimed that at the time they offered a 1.7MP camera (small fuji
clone) that higher file size  and resolution was wasted, and that with
the current technology and limitations that their decision to offer a
lower resolution was justified by the results. Leica have continued to
limit themselves to 3x zooms, even on their "toy" digital cameras --
stubborn, or a real attempt to keep the quality factor high. The Leica
digilux 1 does differ from other p&s digital cameras, and has surprised
me with its utility. I hope the "back" gets out in (on) time, I hope
they have solid alliances, and do not suffer the electronic woes they
had with the R8, and I hope I can afford one ;-)

Cheers