Subject: Re: [Leica] Any comments on 90mm lenses.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:19:12 -0700

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Alastair
>
> The SummArex is almost as good a soft focus lens as the
> Thambar plus "disc".
>
> Jerry
>
> Alastair Firkin wrote:

I know I'd be able to give a much better response if i know how Doug's
new 90 was going to be used. Subject matter? transparency's or black and
white. How big are the blow ups? 4x6 proofs? Inkjet? how big. What did
you have for breakfast last Tuesday? What kind of lens on your slide
projector and what kind of surface is it projected on. And at what magnification?

If, like most of us Doug is getting 4x6's of his kids or grand kids back
from the "drugstore" Doug should just get the Elmar made in the late
60's and the basis for our Elmarit now. Interrupted by the Tele-Elmarit
out controversial compact version of which I am one of the nay sayers.

The 90 is a lens which many get and don't like no matter what version
they get. They are heavy for the most part and the framelines are small.
You get the pictures back and half of them are soft. Half of those soft
ones you've missed your focus the other half you've used too slow of a
shutter speed. The last group you've got birthday cake all over your UV filter.

Lots of people want to skip the 50. Not accusing you of anything Doug! :)

But lots of people get their 35 and for reach they get a 90.
For the most part a bad decision.

Let the 50 be your "reach." It does get in there. At least make sure you
have a 50 first.

I'll say that your typical pull over to the side of the road and get
picture kind of picture is a 90.

And a 90 makes a much better "portrait" lens than a 50. Unless that is
you like a 21 for those!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com